Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2014

M & M Chewy Oatmeal Cookie Bars


So I think we can all agree that a lot of us have had the same new year's resolution; healthy eating!  And....erm, okay well, I made these delicious chewy m & m bars and they were amazing.  But every piece I took, A: I wanted more, and B: I felt sick, C: I still took another piece :) So obviously, I'm probably the one who ate the most, so now I have to work it all off.  Anywho..the goal was to healthi-fy the recipe, and I have a lot of oatmeal in the house so that was my answer I guess.  Yay!
So figured as long as I'm takin' pictures of these bars, I may as well dip them in milk when I finish the photo session.
And that my friends, is exactly what I did, yum!

Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on Facebook!
Happy eating!

M & M Chewy Oatmeal Cookie Bars
recipe adapted from http://fantasticfamilyfavorites.blogspot.com/2011/06/thick-and-chewy-m-cookie-bars.html

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup m & m's

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.  Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
Combine the sugars with the melted butter, add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract.  Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients except for the m & m's to form cookie dough.  Fold in the m & m's and put the cookie dough in the pan, smooth it out, bake about 30 minutes or until the bars look golden.

Notes:
If you want the bars to cook faster, use a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes
These will get hard if you leave them in open air for more than two days, to ensure freshness and make sure the bars stay chewy, cut them and store in an airtight container
DO NOT refrigerate or the bars will harden

No comments:

Post a Comment