Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Herb Crackers+SNOW!!

Do you ever have those days when you just want something that's, do I dare say?  Sweet.  I know, I'm sorry.  I was just kinda craving something crunchy, and crackery.  So sometimes, when I get Taste of Home recipe books from the library, I tend to copy some recipes down to save for later.  I was going through my notebook and I noticed there was a lot of breads, but they all needed yeast and it was cold and I was bored and I bake when I'm bored and I really didn't want to wait for the bread to raise, and then punch it down, and make it rise again...(let me take a breath, that was a long run on sentence)  This recipe nearly saved me from boredom and, I mean, why waste money buying crackers from the store when I can make them right?!
I took this recipe and we all know, changed it a bit to suit my taste.  And I looove olive oil so I made sure I added a good amount.  These crackers were soo good when they came out of the oven!  If you love garlic salt and olive oil as much as I do, I know, you will definitely like these healthy crackers.  Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on Facebook.  Happy Eating!


Herb Crackers

Serves 3-5 (though I could probably eat all of them!)

Ingredients
1 and 3/4 cups flour plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon dried mint
1/4 teaspoon oregano
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil

For coating
4 teaspoons flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder or salt

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium sized bowl, mix the 1 and 3/4 cups of flour with the herbs, salt, and baking powder.  Add the water and oil to form a dough, knead until the dough is elasticy.  In a small bowl, mix the flour for the coating and garlic powder together, rub the mixture on a kneading surface.  Take the dough and split it in to 3 dough balls, roll them 1/8 inch thick on the floured/garlic coated kneading surface.  Cut the dough into small squares and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Notes:
If you don't want to cut the dough into squares, you can bake it as flat bread and break it into pieces later.







Snow!



Yep, we've gotten a lot of that in the northeast United States.  The year is proving to be a crazy weather kind of winter.  My take-global warming, burning of fossil fuels, releasing carbon dioxide into the air etc.  It's only going to get worse if we keep this up here on Earth.  Which will mostly likely mean very cold winters and really hot summers.  Sadly, there isn't much I can do about it :( I do try my best to be eco-friendly though, so I'm doing my job on my part...Anywho, this is snow in my front yard, I believe it's about 3 inches, but who even knows?



No comments:

Post a Comment