Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

You Can Call Them Oatmeal Cookies






























I'm not sure what I was expecting when I came up with this recipe.  I knew I would need to start with the basic ingredients that one usually adds to a cookie.  So I had my shopping list: butter (had it already), flour, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, salt, and cinnamon.  Well I had the basics, now what?  Healthy?  Sure, in a form.

Doesn't the cookie look cool as watercolor animation?






























Healthy but good, okay what about oatmeal?  It was the best way to go. I must say first, these cookies aren't the type that really taste like oatmeal.  The oatmeal in fact, gives it somewhat of a flavor, rather than really tasting them.  I didn't have any experience in making oatmeal cookies therefore my first instinct was to cook the oats first then add it to the dough.  You see I wanted to make my cookies unique, but cooking them could've led to disaster!  Anyway these came out great and are good for 4:00 o'clock tea time!  Happy eating!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Makes: about 19 large cookies
Bake time: about 10 minutes


'You Can Call Them Oatmeal Cookies' Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup uncooked oats
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon



For a crunchy cookie:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with racks in the middle.  Cube the butter and add the sugar and flour together.  Cut the butter into the sugar and flour with a knife.  Blend in the rest of the dry ingredient once the butter makes the flour and sugar mixture crummy.  In a separate bowl beat the egg, add to the ingredients bowl.  Finally mix in vanilla extract, a dough should have formed by now.  In a cookie sheet lined with aluminum and lightly greased with butter, form round balls with the dough.  The ball sizes should be fairly small, about 3 to 4 ounces big.  Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until they are slightly brown on the sides.  Most importantly, ENJOY!

If you want a soft and chewy cookie, cream the butter and sugar together and follow the rest of the recipe.

Notes:
These taste amazing warm
If you like gingerbread cookies, once they cool these cookies have a light gingerbread taste.
AND PLEASE DO NOT FORGET! A Sweet Load is on facebook! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment