Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Amazingly Amazing Tiramisu

You can see the ladyfinger layers.






























Let me start with, THIS RECIPE DOES NOT BELONG TO ME!  All credits to Richard Simmons, the author of the recipe book: "Sweetie Pie."  I have seen and heard of this delicious Italian treat for years.  Those of you who don't know, Tiramisu is a type of cream dessert, with coffee soaked layers of ladyfingers.  I have heard of and have always wanted to make or try Tiramisu, but when I looked for a recipe, most of them involved raw egg.  I don't like to eat things with raw eggs, and those of you that know, Tiramisu is not cooked, but chilled.  I scored when I was looking through my "Sweetie Pie" book.  This recipe originally has coffee liqueur, but my family does not use alcohol so I substituted cold coffee instead.  A lot of people think mascarpone tastes like cream cheese, do not make this mistake, they are completely different.  Mascarpone is a thick Italian cheese.  I got my mascarpone at Shoprite in the deli area with the cheeses.  I made my own ladyfingers, since they are hard to find in a lot of stores.  Without farther ado.....happy eating!



Tiramisu

Makes 10 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes and chilling

Ingredients:

8 ounces mascarpone
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cold coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup heavy cream
24 pack (or homemade) ladyfingers, can be found in 7 ounce packages
1 cup cooled strong brewed coffee
1 cup semisweet chocolate (grated)
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar (optional)

In a large, mix or beat with mixer, mascarpone and sugar.  Add the coffee and vanilla extract.  In another bowl, with electric mixer, beat cream until peaks form.  Mix or fold whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.  In a pan (large enough to fit 12 ladyfingers on the bottom) line the ladyfingers.  It's okay if there are a few gaps. Sprinkle half of the coffee on the ladyfingers, don't worry, the sponginess of the ladyfingers should absorb the coffee.  Spread half of the mascarpone cream on top of the ladyfingers, and sprinkle with half of the chocolate.  Arrange the ladyfingers into another layer on top of the chocolate and sprinkle with the rest of the coffee.  Spread on mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the grated chocolate.  Cover well and refrigerate for 4 hours ( I kept it overnight, I suggest letting it chill overnight).  Optional: sprinkle with confectioners sugar when serving.
It was soo delicious!!






























Notes:
It is important that the coffee is cooled, otherwise it can ruin your fridge.
Remember, We are on facebook as "A Sweet Load"! 

7 comments:

  1. The BEST !!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have the Sweety Pie cookbook, this is the best & easiest tiramisu I have tried. You can find the Italian lady finger cookies in the "cookie aisle" at Shop Rite & Key Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I get mine from the bakery section but I'm sure that works too! :)

      Delete
  3. I use cream cheese when I cannot find the mascarpone cheese. It is not quite the same but still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete