Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Truly Flaky and Perfect Pie Crust

If you saw my memorial day post, then you know that a I recently made apple pie.  Which came out amazing, really!  I was so happy, I don't usually make pie too much.  Actually, this was my first time.  This crust is not sweet, because that's pretty much what filling is for!  I will not give you the recipe for the apple filling, I found it online and it was too sweet for my taste.  The crust is not so flaky that it falls apart, just a slight melt in your mouth.  As I said in my other post, I think my sister had 3 pieces in one day!  That proves my point, it's that good!  I got this recipe from my mother who cut it out of a newspaper a while back (therefore the recipe does not belong to me).  Just as I promised though, the recipe.  Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on Facebook!  Happy eating!

Makes: one 9 inch double crust
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit 
Bake for 25-35 min or until crust is golden
Perfect Pie Crust

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups chilled vegetable shortening cut in cubes
 5-8 tablespoons water

How to:
Stir the flour and salt together in a bowl, cut in the shortening (make sure it is in small cubes).  Cut into the flour mixture until the flour becomes pea sized crumbs.  Dribble water over the mixture, starting with a 5 tablespoons and tossing it with a fork.  Add  water so that it is just enough to gather the crumbs into a ball.  Chill for 25 minutes.  Divide the dough into 2 pieces, roll the first ball and put in the pie pan.  Put whatever your filling is on top, roll the remaining ball and place it on top of the filling.  Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-35 minutes or until the crust is golden.

Notes:
Let the pie cool at least 1 hour before serving, otherwise the filling that you have made may be watery.
Dollop some Ice cream on it if you chose.
Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment