Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Julia Child's French Bread Recipe



Last weekend was father's day and we all know how much I love my parents!  This father's day, I didn't want to make something sweet.  I love sweet things, but I'm trying to also keep a healthy diet.  The same would go for my family, so there I was sitting, thinking, and asking people in google+ communities what I should do.  Before I got an answer from the community something popped in my head.  I thought, "What better idea than french bread."  There and then I searched and came across a recipe for french bread.  This recipe is not just a recipe, it's Julia Child's recipe, and in the cooking and baking world, her food was never known to disappoint.  Although baking bread takes a lot of patience, it was so worth the wait.  I will definitely use this recipe over and over again.  My dad was a huge fan of this bread.  I got this recipe from a site called www.barbarabakes.com and would like to share it with you.  You should definitely use this recipe.  Happy Eating!

Julia Child's French Bread Recipe:
Rising time: about 6 hours
Preheat oven to: 450 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients:
1 packet instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cup warm water (120-130 degrees)

Combine the yeast, 2 1/2 cups of the flour(not all of the flour) and salt in a large bowl.  Mix them together, slowly pour in the warm water until a shaggy dough forms (I used my hands to mix in the water).  Add in the remaining flour slowly, make a soft dough (if it starts to become a soft dough before you've used all the rest of the flour, it's okay).  On a kneading surface and let it rest for about 2-3 minutes.  Return the dough to the mixing bowl and let it rise at room temperature until it is x3 1/2 its original volume.  This will take about 3 hours.  Punch down the dough and let it rise again until not quite tripled in volume.  This will take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  Using parchment, or a linen towel, prepare the rising surface.  Rub flour onto the parchment or towel and place it on a baking sheet.  Once the dough has risen, divide it into the number of pieces you would like(loaves).  Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.  Shape the loaves and place them on the prepare towel or parchment.  Cover the loaves and let them rise until tripled, this will take about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and set up a simulated oven.  Place baking stones (I used quarry tiles) on the center rack, beneath the stone, on the rack under at least 4 inches away place a metal broiler pan.  Add a cup of water (refilling as you go along) to the broiler pan.  Slash the loaves and spray them with a spray bottle.  Slide them into the oven.  Bake for 25 minutes until they are a golden brown.  If you are using parchment, you will have to remove it after about 10 -15 minutes to crisp-en up the bottom crust.  Spray the loaves 3 times while baking them.

Notes:
This french bread is best eaten warm.
Make sure you are using stones safe for the oven.
A Sweet Load is on facebook!  

No comments:

Post a Comment