Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

Baking Powder Biscuits

What can I say?  The kitchen has been screaming and calling my name non-stop and I've been so busy I had to keep pushing it away!  Then suddenly, wow!  Baking in the beloved kitchen without warning.  It was a cloudy rainy day, the cold rain pelting on the sidewalk, and the perfect type of day when we all want something hot.  Warm biscuits, moist, and soft, with butter lathered onto them.  Mmmm... just the thought warms me up.  I was looking through my new "Baking with Julia" book when I decided I really wanted to make baking powder biscuits.  Julia Child is honestly one of my cooking heroes, so I had to make these!  They were so good, crispy on the outside, moist, and soft on the inside.  I always love the smell of biscuits cooking, and taking the golden crusts out of the oven.  This is recipe is from the book "Baking with Julia" by Doreen Greenspan.  Happy eating!  Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on Facebook!

Baking Powder Biscuits
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit racks in the middle
Serves 3-4 people
Bake for 12-15 minutes

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix the dry ingredients together, split the 1/3 of shortening into 5 pieces and roll them around in the flour mixture.  Rub the shortening and flour mixture together to form small crumbs, it's okay to have a few big chunks.  Add the milk and toss with a fork to moisten the mixture.  Knead on a floured surface 10 times ONLY and roll out a 9 inche circle use a round cutter to shape the biscuits.  Place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

Notes:
These taste amazing warm!
If the dough is too sticky to even put on the kneading surface add a small amount of flour.
Great with butter as well!
Like A Sweet Load on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment