Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Warm Apple Crisp

Originally, I wanted to do something related to fall; pumpkin, apple, cranberries...you know the type of fruits that are common during October and November.  And I must say, I hadn't planned on making an apple crisp, but what can I say?  Opportunity showed up at my front door.  After picking out apples in the store so that they looked perfect and sweet, I took an apple for lunch.  You know that face you make when something is really sour?  Well, imagine that face up 10 levels, they were that sour!  So, I figured, why not sweeten them up?  I mean, what have I got to lose?  While watching "Captain America" (which was a very good movie, but that's a story for another time) I whipped up a quick batch of apple crisp.  Boy, did those apples sweeten up, there was a tint of sourness, however that is what made it yummy.  My sister loved this crisp, but then again, she loves baked apples.  My other sister thought that the recipe needed more oats, which I wouldn't mind.  I added more oats to the original recipe and bam!  I promise you, if you like baked apples as much as my family, then you will enjoy this fall dessert.  Don't forget to Like A Sweet Load on Facebook!  Happy Eating!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Bake for 45-55 minutes
Serves 3-4 people
Apple Crisp
Apples:
2 sour or baking apples
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon

Crisp:
3-4 tablespoon oats
2-1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon flour
1/2 tablespoon cold butter

In a small bowl, slice the apples.  Add the sugar, salt, and cinnamon to the bowl.  Toss the ingredients around until well incorporated.  In another small bowl, cut the butter into the flour until crummy.  Mix in the brown sugar and oats.  Grease a glass baking dish and place the apples on the bottom.  Sprinkle the crisp topping on top of the apples.  Bake for 45-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until slightly golden and oats are crispy.  Serve warm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment