Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

TGIF Recipe: White Chocolate Cranberry Softies (Cookies)

It's FRIDAY!  I got to test this recipe I made up yesterday and wasn't sure if the cookies were blog post worthy.....  My family (my mom really) thought so, so here they are.  I've been trying to eat healthier recently, but it has oatmeal and cranberries...  I have named these cookies based exactly on how they are, softies, especially warm out of the oven!

I creamed shortening and butter to add depth to my cookies.  I had cracked in one egg and was thinking, 'hmm..maybe one more'  So I got the egg carton out again and grabbed an egg.  I was about to close the container and then, crack!  Seriously, the egg slipped right out of my hand, that would happen to me right?!  Anywho, no sweat, clean up the egg and back to stirring.  This was what was running through my mind-Flour, not too much, not to little, just enough.  Dough, thick, not too thin, enough to drop them on.  Of course once I had finished completely mixing, I realized it would have been better to add granulated and brown sugar in these cookies, however I said to myself, next time.









I popped them into the oven saying 'Please!  Please!  Please be good!'  Being my curious self, I just had to taste them as soon as I took them out of the oven.  I burned my tongue, I've been doing that a lot recently...  I handed a warm cookie to my mom who really liked these, she practically begged me not to change the recipe, love you mom!  The goal was to not have a crazy sweet cookie.  (In deep astronaut voice) The mission has been accomplished!  The first cookie without excess sugar!  :D  Don't forget to like A Sweet Load on Facebook and subscribe to email!  Happy eating!
Bake time: 10-15 min
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen cookies
Serves: 3-5 people (depending on whether they are already eaten or not!) White Chocolate Cranberry Softies
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 ¼ cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup oats
½ dried cranberries
½ cup white chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, grease about 3 baking sheets.  Cream the butter and shortening with sugar until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time until well combine.  Add the vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Mix in flour until the dough starts to thicken, then add the uncooked oats.  Gently fold in the cranberries and white chocolate chips so that they are evenly distribute.   Drop 3 ounce balls 2 1/2 in apart and bake for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden or browned on the sides.

Notes:
Don't be clumsy like me and drop the egg :P
These cookies taste best warm
The cookies are softest the day they are baked
Please note that the cookies are not too sweet so add 1/4 cup brown sugar, I haven't tried this but it should work
Like A Sweet Load on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment